Sunday, July 12, 2009

counting on God


one of Tre's favorite songs is counting on God by the desperation band at new life church. This morning in church we were singing it as I reminisced about an early morning training flight I had with a client. We came down to the runway and he pulled back to enter the "flare" way too early, which caused the airspeed to degrade rapidly and start to "sink" to the runway. Imagine being 75 feet in the air and the airplane your in just quits flying and drops toward the runway. It is very scary. As we started to drop, I reached up and pushed the power in all the way and took control of the aircraft (pushing his hands out of the way, no time to chat about it or be politically correct.) I have done this many times as a flight instructor, but this morning it felt different in two ways. First, it was completely a reflex with absolutely no conscious thought on my part at all. Secondly, I did not feel any adrenaline or substantial heart rate increase.

Here are the two take aways.
1. Personally for Papa God and I it was affirming to me to tangibly FEEL his complete peace in what was a deadly situation. Our heart cry is to count on God, and I REALLY want my whole life and each little detail to be dependent on His love and power. I know God speaks through me to others and gives me words that I could not come up with on my own as they flow out of my mouth. But this morning it was His way of showing us (Him and I) that He can and will act through me at just the right time. It felt marvelous, beautiful, and perhaps more fulfilling than if He physically picked the aircraft up with His hands, because He was able to act through my mind and body...SWEET TOTALLY SWEET!

2. Each of us as leaders are taking ourselves as well precious others on a flight somewhere. Guess what, you are the pilot, God is not. Does not matter how spiritual we think we can get, we still make all the daily decisions either with God, with others, or by ourselves. We are human and will make mistakes, and in the process negatively affect others. It is dependent on us to develop our unique connections with our Papa God so that in the midst of our humanity He can intervene at the exact time of need. So much of our relationship with our Papa God is theoretical instead of actual. So much of what we say we believe in the Bible as no actual experiential place in our lives. When is the last time you KNOW God saved you and your aircraft?

No comments:

Post a Comment